Sunday, September 29, 2013

Forgiveness Over Easy



In the last installment I threatened to tell you why I believe people want forgiving to be easy. If people believe forgiveness is even worth doing to begin with they are going to want it to be easy. However, just like the complexity of the hurt and emotion that we are struggling with as we enter into the forgiving process forgiveness itself is filled with difficulty and takes many different skills and commitments to accomplish. What I am saying is that forgiveness is not easy. There are many compromised, watered down anemic versions of forgiveness floating around out there and those are easy. Unfortunately they do not accomplish the true goal of forgiveness which is first and foremost reconciliation.

I know what you are thinking. you want to know why on earth you need to be reconciled to that jerk that ruined your life or that drama queen who broke your heart or that deadbeat who took your money and now refuses to pay you back. The one thing these people have in common is that we have a relationship with them because they are our friends and family. This is where I want to start. With your inner circle. Your family and close friends. People who are in your life for the long haul. You ARE going to be in a relationship with them anyway you may as well work on learning to forgive. Why you ask? I would have thought you would already know this. You (and I) are going to say and do things to these people that will require forgiveness and they are going to do the same to us. When this happens. When a trust is broken, when a commitment is not kept, when a hurtful insult hits home, when you are crying because they did that thing again the process of forgiveness has already begun.

Uncle Guy: "MickGee you are such an idiot. How can forgiveness begin when the good insults aren't even done yet?"
Me: (with extreme sarcasm) "Well... so nice to hear from you again 'Guy' where you been?"
Uncle Guy: "Oh I never left, the question is 'where you been?'"
Me: "I... um... HEY! We're talking about forgiveness here right?"

My Uncle brings up a good point. Most people think forgiveness doesn't start until after you have been hurting for a while and finally want it to stop... or something along those lines. This could not be further from the truth. When we are talking about family and friends we already know something about our interactions. That something is the world famous 'second chance.' We all want them. We ALL need them. Some of us even deserve them. While most of us do not.

Uncle Guy: "Man MickGee you make zero sense. How did you even get a blog in the first place?"  
Me: "Guy, let's just dial it down minute and give me a chance to explain. You are so impatient"
Uncle Guy: "Get to the point already!"

So in the forgiveness process the first thing that happens is the offence. This is a nice word for hurt, pain, wrong, sin, evil, etc. The fact remains in order for there to even be forgiveness or the need for it someone first needs to have been wronged or offended. There needs to be someone to blame. In the previous post I talked about our relationship to God and how the wrong we had done required us to make a sacrifice for forgiveness so we could be reconciled with him. Now I want to talk about relationships between men and women, boys and girls. In this case what should happen is once the offense is known there should be a communication from the offended party to the wrongdoer. Now most of us are not gong to like this next part because it is difficult and takes skill and practice to get good at it. What needs to happen is a confrontation. In a perfect world the guilty party would just show up and confess to what he had done. However in our world of 'whatever you do don't get caught' and 'deny everything' this would seem very counter intuitive right?

Uncle Guy: "I have NO problem with confrontation"
Me: "Ya... I know"

My point here is that when you are dealing with your people, your inner circle. You need to pull out your best skills of communication. You have to let it all out. You need to let them know what they did to you and how it has impacted you. You need to let them feel it. Some of us have a natural ability to do this. (You know who you are). But you also need to be careful not to offend them while you do this. I know this is challenging but we are talking about people that we WANT to be in a relationship with most likely. What I am trying to get at here is the idea that every time something goes wrong with those you love and care about. When there is a rift in the relationship you need to already be thinking about how the forgiveness part is gong to work. If we can learn to become forgiving people and not just people who occasionally forgive then we have a shot and seeing forgiveness returning to our culture. But we have to learn this for ourselves and with those who are closest to us. Forgiveness take practice and learning about what forgiveness really is can take some time. There are a lot of forgiveness imitators and haters out there. Don't let them cheat you out of what forgiveness is for.

Uncle Guy: "You said that you were going to tell everyone whey they want forgiveness to be easy... when is that gonna happen...?"
Me: "You're right Guy. I will simply have to ask them to forgive me. I am an abstract thinker and sometimes I take the less than direct route to make my point."
Uncle Guy: "This blog is a waste of cyberspace"
Me: "Sorry you feel that way Uncle. Maybe it's time for you to go."
Uncle Guy: "Me? Go? Sorry nephew I am here for the "long haul" so you better get used to it"

Looks like my uncle and I have a few things to talk about. Her his my chance to practice telling him how his undermining is demoralizing and doesn't really help improve my blog. Stay tuned. Next time I will explain what the offender should do in response to being accused and hearing what damage he has done.

1 comment:

  1. Forgiveness
    is a sense of being. It is not a choice. At least for me, it wasn't.

    For years and years I toyed with the idea of forgiveness...in therapy....in reading...in theory. Each time I would introduce the idea in my head, walls came shooting up. There was a block--a definite aggression towards this thought. I could not imagine forgiveness for some of the heart wrenching...innocence stolen...disastrous trauma I had been through. I tried and tried to wrap my brain around this idea of forgiveness but it was like an algebra problem that I just could not solve. I could not even get my self to the point of comprehension.

    That is, until recently. Forgiveness was not something I sought. It just came to me. One evening, I became forgiveness. I embodied this theory --this idea--this open heartedness. I did not --and was not seeking it---it just found me. And, I welcomed it with open arms, and an open heart. It just felt "right."

    Sometimes we are blessed with a knowing so divinely right and so strong that we've no choice but to embrace it fully.

    I am
    forgiveness.

    ReplyDelete